New York Methodist Hospital has submitted its application to the Board of Standards and Appeals for its expansion, the new ambulatory care facility known as the Center for Community Health, on 6th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues. You can see all the submitted documents here, but some of the items of note:
• It’ll be 7 stories plus two mechanical levels, for a maximum height of 152 feet.
• The size of the area to be developed is about 498,500 gross square feet.
• The combined existing and new garage would have a total parking capacity of 1,023 spaces.
• It would be staffed by approximately 327 workers, including 282 hospital staff and 45 building support staff.
• They anticipate about 358 new patients and 358 family/friends accompanying patients each weekday, with about 77% arriving by car or taxi.
• The plans would affect 103 residential units — 82 of which are currently occupied, 6 of which are low- to moderate-income units. Residents would be relocated to Wesley House on the same block, or comparable units.
• NYM and the construction manager would take a “proactive approach” to prevent construction workers from utilizing neighborhood on-street parking spaces near the site.
• The average number of construction workers throughout the entire construction period would be about 112 per day. The peak number of workers would be 318 per day, and would occur in the third quarter of 2016.
• The average number of trucks throughout the entire construction period would be about 7 per day, and the peak would occur in the third quarter of 2015, with 23 trucks per day.
• Night and weekend work wouldn’t happen regularly, but may on occasion.
• Some on-street parking spots on 6th St would be removed to allow vehicular to the site, but the curb cut for the existing lot at the corner of 6th St and 8th Ave will be removed, evening out the number of parking spots.
• The anticipate 3 years of construction, with the facility to open in 2017.
The Community Board 6 Landmarks/Land Use and Transportation/Public Safety Committees will be jointly hosting a public hearing on this application at 6pm on Thursday, November 21, location to be determined.
Until the meeting, feel free to continue providing suggestions and input for the facility by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, and to send us a copy of any comments you submit to email@example.com so that the Community Board may consider them as part of its review as well.