Everyone ready to celebrate Independence Day? If you’re sticking around the city for the long weekend, you may want to know about the fireworks, but there are also some city services that are taking the day off, and the all important questions of where you can grab a cup of coffee or the hot dog buns you forgot to pick up earlier in the week.
Here’s what you need to know:
• Government offices, courts, and Department of Motor Vehicle offices are closed Friday, July 4.
• There is no mail delivery.
• All Brooklyn Public Library branches are closed on Friday and Saturday.
• Alternate side parking is suspended. You do not have to pay parking meters.
• There is no garbage or recycling collection. If Friday is your garbage day, put your garbage out after 5pm Friday evening. If Friday is your recycling day, wait until next week to put your recycling out.
• Staten Island Ferry Service will be suspended on Friday from 8-10pm due to the fireworks. The last boat from both terminals will be at 7:30pm, and the next boat from both terminals will be at 10pm.
• On Friday, July 4, trains and buses will operate on a Saturday schedule (with additional trains running prior to the fireworks show).
All local bank branches will be closed for the holiday.
Food & Drink
Key Food, 130 7th Avenue: 7am-10pm
Key Food, 493 5th Avenue: open 24 hours
Picada y Vino, 327 5th Avenue: 12-7pm
Shawn Fine Wine & Spirits, 141 7th Avenue: opens 10am, closing early
Sip Fine Wine, 67 5th Avenue:
Union Market, 754 Union Street: 7am-9pm
Whole Foods, 214 3rd Street: 8am-11pm
Gorilla Coffee (97 5th Avenue & 472 Bergen Street): 7am-9pm
Hungry Ghost, (253 Flatbush Avenue): 7am-10pm
Konditori (186 5th Avenue, 240 7th Avenue): 7am-8pm
Kos Kaffe (251 5th Avenue): 7am-8pm
Root Hill Cafe (262 4th Avenue): opens 8am, but will close early afternoon