So Nemo is coming, and people are in full-on storm preparation mode. Even La Bagel Delight has a sign on the door urging people to stock up on bagels. (What is the recommended amount of storm bagels for a single woman? Six? A dozen? You know what, I’ll get a couple dozen just to be safe.)
Still, there’s a chance this may be some exaggeration and we’ll only end up with rain. And a little rain never hurt anyone! So grab an umbrella, layer up, and check out this weekend’s best events.
Thursday, February 7
• Did you know that on the first Thursday of every month, V-Spot hosts a free comedy show? It’s true. Hosted by owner Alex Carabano, who is also a working comedian, this month’s event features Myq Kaplan (seen on Comedy Central) and the Lucas Brothers (seen on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon). Just try not to laugh while your mouth is full with empanadas.
156 Fifth Avenue between St. Johns & Lincoln Places, 9:00 p.m., free
Friday, February 8
• The Old Stone House is hosting an aptly-timed couple’s workshop called Getting the Love You Want. The event will introduce couples to the “Imago Intentional Dialogue,” a tool developed to help couples “recognize, accept and learn to accommodate the differences in personality styles that block good communication.” The workshop promises take-home skills in communication, conflict resolution, and relationship rejuvenation. The workshop is led by two Park Slope-based Imago Relationship Therapists Joan Zimmerman and Joan Emerson.
336 Third Street between 4th & 5th Avenues, 7:00-9:00 p.m., $40/couple, tickets available here.
Saturday, February 9
• This Saturday, Union Hall transforms into a fashion haven when clothier Erin Silvers of Out of My Mind Vintage fills the place with select items from her winter and spring collections. But it isn’t just a place to shop; it’s an entire vintage experience. Vinyl dealer Gregorious from HPRS Records will be selling essential vinyl while DJ NYSE is spinning them. Celebrity makeup and hair stylist Zuleika Acosta will be giving out 60s- and 70s-inspired makeovers, and nail artist Miss Molly will be handling manicures. And throughout the event, grab some $5 mimosas and Bloody Marys from the bar. Come dressed to impress in your best vintage and you could win a prize!
702 Union Street at 5th Avenue, 1:00-5:00 p.m., free.
Sunday, February 10
• Badass Brooklyn Animal Rescue and Canal Bar join forces for Smooch-a-Pooch, a Valentine’s fundraiser and adoption event. A $20 donation gets you access to a 1-hour open bar sponsored Aviation Gin, plenty of specialty cocktails, cupcakes, raffle prizes, and– best of all– adoptable dogs. Gives a whole new meaning to the idea of picking someone up at the bar.
Canal Bar is located at 270 Third Avenue between Union and President Streets, 7:00-10:00 p.m., $20 tickets available here.
• Spend the weekend working up an appetite for Sunday night’s Vegan Bake-Off, presented by the skint and hosted by the Bell House. Taste dessert samplings from amateur bakers and help celebrity judges Adam Sobel (owner of Cinnamon Snail Food Truck), Sarah Gross (owner of Rescue Chocolate), and comedian Myq Kaplan name the winner.
149 Seventh Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenues, 3 p.m., $12 tickets available here.
Image via Canal Bar