Get a head start on some environmentally-conscious spring cleaning! This Sunday, January 20, the Lower East Side Ecology Center is bringing its 10th Annual “After the Holidays” E-waste Event to Prospect Park to help you responsibly dispose of all of your unwanted or broken gadgets.
All of the collected materials are transported by WeRecycle! to their recycling facility in Mt. Vernon, NY, where they are dismantled domestically and responsibly. Any data or personal information stored on the electronics are protected from the point of collection, through transport and processing.
Not sure what to bring? Here is a list of acceptable equipment, in either working or non-working condition:
• Computers (laptops & desktops, servers, mainframes)
• Printers, scanners, fax-machines, copiers
• Network devices (routers, hubs, modems, etc.)
• Peripherals (keyboards, mice, cables, cords, chargers, etc.)
• Tablets and E-readers
• Components (hard drives, CD-ROMs, circuit boards, power supplies, etc.)
• TVs, VCRs, DVRs, & DVD Players
• Digital Converter Boxes, Cable/Satellite Receivers
• Portable music players
• Audio-visual equipment
• Cell phones, pagers, PDAs
• Telecommunication (phones, answering machines, etc.)
They’ll also take batteries, but ask that alkaline and rechargeable batteries are separated, with the terminals of the rechargeable batteries taped up. For more information, check out the LES Ecology Center E-waste FAQ here.
E-Waste event at Prospect Park (Prospect Park West & 3rd Street), Sunday January 20, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Photo via Lower East Side Ecology Center