The Barclays Center celebrates its first anniversary tomorrow, marking a year from Jay Z’s opening night show. And it’s been an interesting year, filled with sold-out shows, community events, and all of the crowd, traffic, and sanitation issues that come with them. The community continues to figure out how to evolve around this new and massively popular destination, which– for better or for worse– has changed the tone of at least part of the neighborhood.
Here are some of the news highlights of our first year with Barclays– and if you want a quick review of the arena’s stats, here’s our original primer.
• Jay Z christens the arena on opening night, at the first of his eight show run. Or, as The New Yorker put it, Jay-Z “crowns Brooklyn.” (9/28/12)
• 5th Avenue bartenders are skeptical about the promised crowds. (9/28/12)
• People are using the arena and the surrounding area as their toilet, and neighbors are less than pleased. (10/18/12)
• The Islanders announce they’ll be moving to Barclays, rendering the name a little nonsensical. (10/24/12)
• The Beliebers are the first fans to cause real chaos as they chase Bieber and his bus around Dean Street– “alarming cops and security personnel,” according to the Atlantic Yards Report. (11/ 13/12)
• The beer is ridiculously expensive. (12/21/12)
• The circus marches in with elephants (and protesters) in tow. (3/20/13)
• Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce awards Barclays a Building Brooklyn Award for Economic Development. (5/22/13)
• Summer food trucks roll in! (5/30/13)
• Barclays gets its very own Greenmarket, and we meet the market manager. (7/17/13)
• The arena outpaces Madison Square Garden in sales. In fact, it outpaces all American venues, pulling in $46.9 million before the first year even finishes. (7/23/13)
• Justin Bieber comes back and everyone survives. (8/02/13)
• Beyonce bikes to Barclays for her final show, where she also brings out surprise special guest Jay Z. (8/06/13)
• The VMAs come to town, bringing some red carpet chaos to the surrounding areas. (8/23/13)
• Local businesses can’t keep up with the rising rent. (8/26/13)
• Ursula von Rydingsvard’s bronze sculpture “Ona” moves in. (8/30/13)
How did you guys find the first year with America’s number one venue right in our backyard? Did you go to any spectacular shows? Have a favorite vendor at the Greenmarket? Or maybe a particular gripe? Let us know!